With a goal of enhancing Department of Defense (DOD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) research activity at the University, our team assists faculty with their research from ideation to commercialization. We do this by:
- Increasing awareness of DoD & VA opportunities
- Reducing hurdles to apply for DoD & VA opportunities
- Providing support for DoD & VA proposal development and submission
- Increasing competitiveness of DoD & VA proposals submitted
The MHI supports several research-focused collaborative working groups throughout the San Antonio region:
- Trauma Think Tank (POC: UTHSA Department of Surgery, Ms. Megan Boytos, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- San Antonio Brain Injury Think Tank (SABITT)
Some current projects we are proud to support include:
PI: Kumar Sharma, M.D.
The Center for Renal Precision Medicine (CRPM) at UTHSA was recently funded by the Department of Defense and the NIH for two important studies. The DoD funded study is to examine the role of mitochondria on acute trauma related lung injury and septic shock. The support of the Military Health Institute was of great value and facilitated collaboration with COL (Dr.) Kevin Chung, Uniformed Services University, for this multi-site mechanistic study. The CRPM also received funding for an NIH supported investigator initiated clinical trial for COVID related acute kidney injury. The study will evaluate a mitochondrial protectant agent in patients who are hospitalized with COVID-19 and develop acute kidney injury.
Enhancing Resiliency and Optimizing Readiness in Military Special Forces
PI: Alan Peterson, Ph.D.
Trauma and the Gastrointestinal Microbiome
PI: Susannah Nicholson, M.D., M.S.
Chronic Pain and Post-Traumatic Headache
PI: Don McGeary, Ph.D.